|Birth name||Kem Owens|
|Born||July 23, 1969|
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, U.S.|
|Genres||R&B, soul, jazz, neo soul|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer|
He did not overcome these issues until he turned to spirituality and music, as he has said, “My career didn’t take off until I connected with my spirituality. That’s why I take time on stage and on the album to administer spirituality to people. That’s one of the things that I am most proud of.”
He has two daughters, Troi and Laylah.
He wrote, produced, and financed his self-released debut album, Kemistry, with his American Express and singing top 40 cover tunes in a wedding band and waiting tables.
He was later signed by Motown Records in November 2001, who re-released the album on February 25, 2003, and sold more than 500,000 copies nationwide. The album’s first single, “Love Calls”, became a hit at urban adult contemporary and smooth jazz radio, and USA Today pegged it early on as a “Motown classic.” His debut went gold-plus.
He followed his debut release with a second album, Album II, released May 17, 2005 and sold more than 500,000 copies nationwide. It included the hit single “I Can’t Stop Loving You”, a # 1 at urban adult contemporary radio, and the song “You Might Win” featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica.
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||RIAA certifications|
|2010||Intimacy: Album III
|US Hot 100||US R&B/Hip-Hop|
|2005||“I Can’t Stop Loving You”||84||20||Album II|
|“Find Your Way (Back in My Life)”||—||37|
|2010||“Why Would You Stay”||102||17||Intimacy: Album III|
|“Share My Life”||—||25|
|2011||“If It’s Love”||—||39|
Awards and nominations
- 2005 Billboard Music Award win for Top Adult R&B Single of the Year: “I Can’t Stop Loving You”
- 2005 Billboard Music Award nomination for Top Adult R&B Artist of the Year (lost to Fantasia).
- ^ a b http://www.musicbykem.com/about Kem Bio
- ^ “Gold & Platinum – Kem”. RIAA. Retrieved October 28, 2010.
- ^ a b “Kem > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums”. allmusic.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/kem/chart-history/510672?f=379&g=Singles
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/kem/chart-history/510672?f=367&g=Singles
- MusicbyKem.com -Official site